Stop MLA Salaries If They Refuse To Do Their Job - 314 signed
I, the undersigned, demand that salaries for MLAs are suspended until the formation of a working Executive.
After crashing the Executive before the election, the DUP are now ignoring the democratic will of the people and are preventing the formation of a new Executive. They are doing this when:
- More than 650,000 people in the North live in either relative or absolute poverty.
- People are suffering from a cost-of-living crisis.
- Across the North, there are over 44,000 people on social housing waiting lists.
- Meanwhile, over 4,200 people are homeless.
- 260,000 people are on Hospital Waiting Lists for more that one year.
- The British Government seek an Amnesty for crimes against innocent people during the Troubles.
- An extreme abortion regimen has been imposed on the North.
This is unjust, undemocratic and intolerable. The DUP leader refuses to even take up the seat he ran for in the Assembly Elections. No political party should be allowed to hold the people to ransom in such a manor.
If MLAs refuse to do their jobs, they should not be paid. It is outrageous to think that some MLAs will seek to get paid while refusing to do their job.
Aontú ran as the party of political reform and accountability: that begins with ensuring MLAs doing their jobs.
Aontú Deputy Leader & Cllr for Mid Ulster, Denise Mullen
- Politicians need to be held accountable professionally and financially accountable for deficits in their political obligations.
- It's not right that MLA's should receive full pay of more than £51,000 + expensive do nothing and people dying from the cold and hunger, our children living on ONE meal per day, our ELDERLY dying from the cold afraid to use electricity because they can not pay the bill, shame on them who are responsible .
- DUP wages should be suspended immediately and the rest should try managing on the lowest wage
- Why are they getting paid?? They need to grow up. It was Sinn Fein last time and now it’s DUP. None of them are better or worse than the other. We’re all waiting on cost of living payments while they’re sitting with the feet up knowing they still have the big salary rolling in. Childish behaviour
- Disgusting MLAS getting paid and ppl can't feed their children. Old ppl can't heat their homes. The health and education systems are falling apart. The economy system is broken. I feel very disheartened by everything.
- Their lack of action is bankrupting every charity in province and it's only the last week of November. If they can past rates bill and pay rises get these payment done
- Any elected politician refusing to do their job, strip them of their pay. It's simple.
- I am disgusted that although I work full time in a supposedly well paid job within the Health Service I am struggling to cover my fuels costs to travel to and from work everyday. Meanwhile those who placed themselves forward to do a job and were elected to do are neglecting their position and receiving full pay! If I were to announce that I wasn't going to work until everything within the health service was optimal working order I would not receive any amount of pay, let alone full pay!!
- If I refused to go to my paid employment, it wouldn't be too long until my pay would be suspended and I would most likely be removed from my post. The same should apply to people elected for public office.
- Aontaím libh!
- No pay if not at work like the way a normal job works
- The people of northern ireland should matter more than some agreement that can still can be altered etc if we have a sitting government. Instead of the DUP feeling unable to trust the British government after they put the protocol into place they should be putting our little country first
- Stop salaries
- No work no pay like everyone else
- Stop DUP MLAs and MP salaries! They are all singing from the same hymn sheet and shouldn’t be allowed to lift their wages here or in London. Tank of diesel today almost £90! It’s ok for them , they get travel expenses for a job they don’t do.
Action is needed now!
- No MLA should be getting paid if they are not working as not one member of the general public would refuse to work and still get paid
- If any of the rest of us didn't turn up for work we wouldn't be paid ,why should they its scandalous.
- Stop wages! If we don’t work we don’t get paid.
- They should be ashamed of themselves! Disgraceful!! People need help now we are in a crisis !
- Please stop wages immediately disgrace they can suffer like the rest of us and go get another job or whatever they were doing before the gravy train.
- After all of the hard work done by heroes like John Hume for the whole thing to be held to ransom by the DUP now seems petty and out of touch with the survivors in the North on both sides.
- Agreed should all be sacked.
- No work no pay. Absolute disgrace
- I am totally disgusted that those MLAs are getting full pay while striking most people can hardly get sick pay when they are of sick. That is one of the many privileges that should be stopped.
- Cut the DUP pay
- We as a people are sick of elected reps doing whatever they want, we are in crisis and need more than ever our reps to help us, stop their wages if they won't work
- Back Aontú 100% on this.
- Horrendous. Stop their salaries if they refuse to turn up for work.
- How dare they take their salary and not work!
- If they don't work no salary
- Stop their salaries immediately. No one else gets paid for refusing to do their job. So why should they?
- My Wife is from Derry and we both agree that no wages should be paid to any MLA who refuses to take up their seats in Belfast.
- I agree. No work no pay.
- No work no pay
- It's a disgrace. In any other sector you would be sacked for incompetency and failing to do your job. Why should politics be any different.
- Stop their salaries immediately.
- No work no pay simple
- No work , no pay !
- Obviously the DUP can afford to put their heating on, use their electricity and eat good so why would they worry about the rest of us particularly those who voted for them, by the way Boris Johnson signed the brexit agreement, so why are the people of NI being punished?
- Absolutely sickening while in this current climate of job losses, price increases etc..., that these bunch of half wits on harmony hall will still be paid for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!
- Definition of "Salary"
: a fixed amount of money paid regularly for work done. salary. noun. sal·a·ry. plural salaries. Therefore, no work, no salary.
- No work, no salary! Same should apply to MLAs as applies to every other working person.
- DUP are a joke and we need them and their Tory friends out of Irish politics
- I can’t make ends meet but somehow they act like children and refuse to do their jobs and get paid to sit on their arse while they pretend to care about nurses. Bollocks!
- Any other job you would be sacked on the spot, withdraw their wages immediately no more time to change their minds. We are heading back to draconian times with poverty at an all time high. They should be ashamed off themselves, they are not going without a penny but the people are having to choose between food & fuel.
- Dia libh. Ireland for the Irish
- no work no salary
- Ask them do they deserve their full wages?
- The fastest way to solve a problem of stubbornness is through someone's income.
- Anyone refusing to take their place in Stormont should not be paid.
- The people have had enough
- No work ,no pay
- They should not be rewarded for dereliction of duty nor should they be allowed to stand for public office again having now refused to do what they are elected to do. Pay back the 3 years money they took while not working.
- No work, no pay. These rules apply to all other citizens and we expect our "REPRESENTATIVES " to lead by example. No more freeloaders need apply.
- Stop the pay! I don't get paid if I choose not to go to work, at a job I chose to be at. So why should they get paid for choosing to not do the job they were elected for!
- If i don't go to work i don't get paid, why should they be any different? If they refuse to do their work, then let next in line do it for them.
- It’s absolutely disgraceful that this group of people can hold us all to ransom. As a primary school teacher we hear every day of families not coping financially, children waiting for surgery, a massive long list of children with issues but no one to assess their needs. Very sad!
- If I wasn’t doing my job I wouldn’t get paid so it’s only right they should be the same
- Stormount needs to be up and running people were elected to help the public and help our health service and the rising cost of living do your jobs or lose your wage
- If a big party refuses to sit, the next biggest party should take their place.
- Absolutely shocking as usual from the top 2. Either legislate to allow the assembly to function without a party or stop all pay and allowances.
- If there was a moral between the lot of them they wouldn’t accept their pay
- STOP MLA SALARYS IF THEY AINT GOING TO DO WORK FOR US THEM WHY SHOULD THEY BE PAID, IM A CHEF AND IF I DECIDED ILL NOT GO TO WORK FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS IN SURE I WOULD BE DISMISSED
- It is my belief that MLAs should not received salaraies for a job they are refusing to do.
Not only that but they should be forced to pay back the extortionate amount of money they have taken to date whilst not doing their jobs and also have to disband
It's a joke they aren't shamed to step down themselves and also be shameless in taking tax payers money whilst doing nothing
- Absolutely shameful in the current climate!!!!
- Unfair that people have little money when these people are paid for Not doing their work. So unfair.
- Disgrace... Whil I can barely put food on the table.
- The DUP are an affront to democracy and any right-thinking citizen of Northern Ireland would never have voted for them in the first place!
- No Workee, No payee.
- Absolutely ridiculous. They should be ashamed to show their faces.
- This is absolutely ridiculous, I was brought up in a DUP family, and none of them support this, they are disgusted by the lies and the self serving wasters. I finally have got them out of their stockholm syndrome.
Not one MLA has resigned in disgust at the fact their party is actively killing people, neglecting people and destroying lives. There is not one has integrity.
Need to stop welcoming them- as organisations, as businesses, as society, if they do not see legitimacy of democracy, we need to stop enabling their legitimacy - no more DUP Minister visits, MLA photoshoots.
- Stop the DUP MLAs pay Immediately for not setting up the executive
- No pay if you refuse to set up a government. All issues can be worked through by talking. If they cannot be worked through, send it to the people here to vote on. Ie the protocol and if folks want to stay or go out of the unique position of it all. The government are afraid of giving the people their say on it, but hold us all to ransom over it. It’ll have to be sorted one way or another. Let the people have their say and then you’ll know the answer!
- It is a disgrace to pay MLS’s who refuse to go to work. The DUP are holding the country to ransom and it must be stopped IMMEDIATELY
- MLA's refusal to form a working Executive is disgusting and down right selfish. Oh they are all fine sitting pretty getting paid a very good salary for doing nothing no worries to them about the cost of living and the NHS in an absolute shambles. DO YOUR JOB OR DON'T GET PAID. Their salaries should go to the NHS. SICK OF THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
- Another election is required so I can change my vote from DUP to a party that wants democracy to work. The protocol isn’t going to be solved by the DUP so they should just sit down and do their jobs.
- I agree that all of the MLA's wages should be stopped until the Executive is fully functioning again!
- Getting paid for doing nothing?! Some job
- After little or no financial help during the pandemic also having been off work for 4 months with no financial assistance or support I find it discussing MLA lifting
Money while not working.
- No spending of public’s taxation on salaries without representation.
- Anyone who doesnt work does not get paid why should MLAs who also get a pay rise without having to strike like council workers who do a better job than they do
- Stop mla pay until the executive is formed. Or ban DUP/SINN FEIN or any other party from entering. Or re-elect someone who will take a seat. We cannot afford another 2 year setback for stupidity.
- I think it's about time these MLA's sit down and sort out the crisis we are heading into, and come up with plans to support the working people of Northern Ireland as well.
If I wasn't working I wouldn't get paid so why should these MLA's be collecting their pay when they aren't even doing the job they have been elected to do.
The whole thing is a farce and it's about time they copped themselves on and start sorting out this mess we are all in.
- If any one else refused to work not only will they get no pay they will be back on dole
- If we don't turn up for work we don't get paid so why should it be different for MLA's. People are struggling trying to keep their heads above water. They'll soon get back to work when their pays stop.
- Nhs workers don't get laid if they refuse to work. Do what your paid for and sort this mess out
- Yet again we will see MLAs being paid for a job they are not doing. STOP PAY NOW.