Petition to reverse the decision to remove cash and cheque facilities at AIB branches - 539 signed
We the undersigned call on the Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe to instruct AIB to reverse the decision to withdraw cash and cheque facilities at AIB Branches.
We wish the government and AIB to acknowledge the following and reverse the decision:
- Recognise AIB cash and cheque facilities provide valuable service for many people, especially vulnerable adults and those not in a position to avail of online banking.
- Understand that the withdrawal of the night safe facility will expose businesses and their staff at a greater risk to crime and thief. Traveling with cash especially for publicans late at night is unsafe, meanwhile leaving cash in premises overnight is also a potential risk.
- Many businesses will be forced to avail of private money management companies. This will increase the cost of business in local towns. At a time of peak inflation, rising fuel costs, and in the aftermath of Covid lockdown business can not take any more pressure.
- In recent years we have seen the closure of many banks from our rural towns and villages. The downgrade of seventy AIB branches will place further logistical and financial burdens on people.
- The Irish people remain the largest shareholder in AIB following the bail-out during the banking collapse. The taxpayers therefore deserve fairness and respect after the financial pain of the bail out.