I am proud to offer myself as a candidate for Aontú in Sligo Leitrim. We will work for Irish Unity, for social justice, and for the right to life of all, regardless of age, state of health or economic circumstances. We envisage an Ireland where all the children of the nation are cherished equally, and where all of our people are respected and have the chance to thrive. I live, and brought up my family in the Waterside, a few streets from where I was born. However, I worked as a GP in Shantallow Health Centre in the heart of Derry for twenty-seven years. So, despite being a “gorbal” I have an insight into the issues and concerns which affect the local communities. If elected, I will work for you, your family and your future.
Over the years, I have been involved in a wide range of community-based initiatives, relating to health, social justice and human rights. These include;
- The campaign for the defence of Articles 2&3 of BunreachtnahÉireann, relating to the constitutional entitlement of the six counties to be part of the Irish Nation.
- Served on the National Executive of the Irish National Congress.
- Member of The Equality Campaign, highlighting discrimination in employment against nationalists.
- Founder member of the Gasyard Development Trust.
- On the management board of Cunamh, a community based mental health project.
- Is gníomhaíGaeilgemé, a bhíimobhall de bhord and Ghealáras, CultúrlannUíChanáin, agusCumann and Ghrianáin.
- I have been involved in the pro-life movement since my days as a medical student, and advocate for the right to life of all people, at every stage of their lives, irrespective of their age, state of health or economic state.